CGI Technologies and Solutions, Inc. Unix Engineer in Washington, District Of Columbia
CGI-experience the commitment
Find similar career opportunities
City:Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Employment Type:Full Time
Meet our professionals
CGI: A place to build an IT career
Build your career with CGI by joining a dynamic team of IT engineers and architects supporting infrastructure projects for the Library of Congress. The Library is the nation's oldest federal cultural institution and the world's preeminent reservoir of knowledge, providing unparalleled collections and integrated resources to Congress, the Senate, and the American people.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
The UNIX Engineer will perform a variety of IT services associated with systems design, implementation, performance optimization, and administration of Solaris and/or AIX servers over their full system lifecycle. Library infrastructure resides in four data centers located in Washington, DC (2), Manassas, VA, and Culpeper, VA.
Daily activities delivering UNIX Server support services may include:
• Systems engineering and administration of AIX and/or Solaris platforms
• Maintenance and administration of enterprise server applications
• Script development, file system configuration, and data migration
• Hardware migration planning, configuration, performance monitoring, and optimization
• System software patching
• Server and application performance monitoring, optimization, and reporting
• Development of written reports and project deliverables for work performed
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
• 5+ years of relevant experience with advanced system engineering experience working on AIX 6.x and AIX 7.x
• Advanced systems administration/engineering of AIX 6.x and 7.x
• Advanced systems administration/engineering of Solaris 10/11
• Administration and maintenance of enterprise server applications such as Apache, Php, Python, MySql, Varnish, Ansible, etc.
• Scripting experience using BASH, PERL, and/or Python
• Understanding of Global Parallel File System (GPFS), Clustered Network File Server (CNFS), and/or Active File Management (AFM)
• Data migration including within long-term storage environments
• Scripting and setup of file system and server and application monitoring with one or more monitoring tools (Solarwinds, Hyperic, and/or Splunk)
• Experience preparing formal, well-written documents/reports and verbal communication for both managers and technical audiences - Windows 7 / MS Office 2010
• Knowledge of Hierarchical Storage Management Systems (Oracle SAM-QFS/OHSM, HPSS, etc.)
• Knowldege and experience with Fibre Channle (FC) and Network File System (NFS) (IP-based) storage connectivity
• Implementing comprehensive patch automation strategy using currently available tools such as Chef cookbooks, SUMA, IBM BigFix, or IBM Endpoint Manager for all AIX Logical Partitions (LPARS)
• Upgrades to AIX LPARs to AIX 7.2 with the latest Technology Level
• Streamlining and optimizing migration path of AIX LPARs residing on legacy equipment to latest hardware
• Automation of mksysb backups via NIM for all AIX LPARs, to include error-checking and reporting
• Performance monitoring and reporting
• Implementing both local and remote Logical Partition Migration (LPM) for all IBM Power systems
• Assisting with migration of legacy storage LUNs to Unity VPLEX arrays
• Implementation and utilization of Workload Partitions (WPARs) on newer Power systems
• Work schedule of 40 hours a week Monday through Friday between the hours of 6:30am and 6:30pm, except for Federal holidays or government-directed closings
• Infrequent performance of duties during evenings or weekends may be required with advance client approval.
• Travel to data center facilities local to Washington, DC may be required.
• BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
• Prior experience delivering IT support to the Library of Congress
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com .
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at USEmploymentCompliance@cgi.com . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned .
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here at https://cgi-veterans.jobs/ to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.
All CGI offers of employment in the U.S. are contingent upon the ability to successfully complete a background investigation. Background investigation components can vary dependent upon specific assignment and/or level of US government security clearance held.
CGI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with CGI’s legal duty to furnish information.
Have you been referred by a CGI Member for this position?* Yes No
CGI member’s email (@cgi.com) *
I agree to allow CGI to contact the CGI member who referred me to obtain additional information about my application and to confirm my referral. *
* This field is required.
CGI is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with US laws and regulations. Click here at http://documents.njoyn.com/homebase/cgi/AMSDocs/EEOPolicy-Signed2017.pdf to access our US EEO/Affirmative action policy.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws:
EPPA at https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppac.pdf
FMLA at https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf
Consolidated EEO Is The Law at http://documents.njoyn.com/homebase/cgi/AMSDocs/EEO_Poster.pdf
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at USEmploymentCompliance@cgi.com . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned.
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here at http://cgi-veterans.jobs/ to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.