CGI Technologies and Solutions, Inc. Unix-Linux System Administrator in Washington, District Of Columbia
Unix-Linux System Administrator
- Log in
Find similar career opportunities
Unix-Linux System Administrator
Category: Database Administration
City: Washington, DC, District of Columbia, United States
Position ID: J0920-2079
Employment Type: Full Time
CGI is actively seeking a Unix/Linux Server Administrator to support systems design, implementation, performance optimization, and administration of Unix/Linux servers over their full system lifecycle for a federal client. The client’s IT networks span various service units in multiple buildings and work areas. Included in the IT networks are a number of Unix/Linux servers that require ongoing support services. You will work on projects with the Unix/Linux team to support the client’s mission, priorities, and unique challenges. This is a long term position and work will primarily take place at client facilities in the Washington DC Metropolitan area. Potentially remote during COVID.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
• Installation, maintenance, and repair of server hardware and software in accordance with procedures;
• Maintaining and updating documentation for Unix/Linux system administration tools.
• Responsible for monitoring system performance/health, applying software updates as released by the vendors and implementing configuration changes, and assuring that the system is performing at optimal levels.
• Assisting with the development of system architectures and project plans.
• Developing and maintaining thorough documentation for the systems they support.
• Participating in meetings as requested.
• Maintaining patch levels on all servers and network devices in accordance with policies
• Performing complete, accurate and timely backups in accordance with procedures, and managing the rotation, storage, and disposition of backup media
• Restoring data from backups in accordance with policies
• Developing and maintaining a disciplined test lab environment
• Assisting with implementation and maintenance of security technologies and components as requested
• Providing advanced technical support for issues escalated from the Help Desk
• Assisting with information security incident response as requested.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
The candidate shall apply expert working knowledge of systems design, implementation, performance optimization, and administration of Unix/Linux servers over their full system lifecycle to include the following:
• Advanced Red Hat Unix/Linux administration 6.x, 7.x, 8.x;
• Knowledge of either Solaris 10/11 and/or AIX 5+;
• Administration and maintenance of enterprise server applications such as Apache, Php, Python, MySql, Varnish, Puppet, Ansible, etc.;
• Scripting (BASH, PERL and/ or Python);
• Using the following Unix utilities to perform data migration: ‘rsync’, ‘sshfs’, ‘scp’;
• Understanding of IBM Global Parallel File System (GPFS), Clustered Network File Server (CNFS), Active File Management (AFM) or equivalent.
• Creating and updating formal documents/reports;
• Data migration, including within long-term storage environments;
• Scripting and setup of file system and server and application monitoring with one or more monitoring tools (Solarwinds, Hyperic and/or Splunk);
• Setting up GPFS AFM policies to manage data movement from storage system to storage system;
• Shall have the ability to effectively communicate both orally (in common English narration) and in writing (to include technical documentation).
• Shall have the ability to manage multiple projects, work under pressure and tight deadlines, work independently, and work in a team environment.
• Shall be proficient in Microsoft® Office or later with particular emphasis on Microsoft® Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, and Project®, and other applicable database and office automation products.
• Shall be able to obtain a favorable determination from the Background Investigation.
• Shall be a United States citizen.
• Willingness to ask questions, find out information, seek understanding from others
• Cooperative attitude in a team environment
• Sufficient communication skills to create operational documentation and system diagrams
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com .
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at USEmploymentCompliance@cgi.com . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned .
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here at https://cgi-veterans.jobs/ to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.
All CGI offers of employment in the U.S. are contingent upon the ability to successfully complete a background investigation. Background investigation components can vary dependent upon specific assignment and/or level of US government security clearance held.
CGI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with CGI’s legal duty to furnish information.